Cardiovascular Technologist & technicians
Job Prognosis: Strong & Growing
Much of the health care industry relies on testing and analyzing of treatments and results, so opportunities for Cardiovascular technologist & technicians are growing due to the rapid increase in medical technology. Sonographs are a helpful tool that needs mastering as there is a shortage of experts.
Cardiovascular Technologist & Technicians perform and analyze tests on pulmonary or cardiovascular systems of patients for diagnostic purposes. They may or assist in electrocardiograms, cardiac catherization, pulmonary functions, lung capacity, and similar test. Other functions performed are monitoring patients blood pressure, comfort, heart rate, and safety during a test. They also assist surgeons with vascular procedures, such as preparing balloons and stents. Cardiovascular Technologists and technicians are in high demand as the Gulf Coast's Texas Medical Center continues to increase the use of laboratory testing for early diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease
The number of Cardiovascular Technologists and technicians is expected to increase by 19% percent between 2016 and 2026.
It is anticipated that 119 new Cardiovascular Technologists will be needed each year in the Gulf Coast, with more than half earning over $40,000 a year!
What are Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologists' interests?
These skills, interests, and knowledge areas are recommended for a career as a laboratory technologist. Los siguientes datos describen la importancia relativa de cada área del conocimiento/habilidad según la opinión de quienes están en la industria.
Everything surrounding the diagnosis and treatment of human injuries and ailments, including symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
Everything about organisms' structures, functions, interdependencies, interactions, and survival in its environment
Customer & Personal Service
Meeting the expected quality of customer satisfaction when interacting with customer and potential customers
*Source: Texas Career Check.
¿Cómo se hace para ser tecnólogo de laboratorio médico?
High School Endorsement: Public Service | STEM
While technicians may only need an associate's degree from a community college or vocational program, medical and clinical laboratory technologists are required to have a bachelor's degree in medical technology or in one of the life sciences. Los programas para obtener un título exigen conocimientos sólidos de química, ciencias biológicas, microbiología, matemática y estadísticas. It is also possible to qualify through a combination of education, on-the-job training and specialized training to become a technician, working your way up to technologist as skills become more honed.
Helpful Tech to Get Ahead
- Analytical or Scientific Software: Minitab
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software: SAP
- Medical Software: MEDITECH software
- Spreadsheet & Presentation Software: Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint
Certification & Advancement Opportunities Many employers prefer applicants who are certified by a recognized professional association. Las siguientes agencias tienen diferentes requisitos para la certificación y diferentes patrocinadores de organizaciones:
- Board of Registry of the American Society for Clinical Pathology
- American Medical Technologists
- American Board of Clinical Chemistry
- Drug & Alcohol Testing Industry Association (DATIA)
- National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel
- Board of Registry of the American Association of Bioanalysts
Los tecnólogos de laboratorio médico y clínico experimentados pueden crecer en sus empleos si ascienden a puestos de supervisión. Algunos ascienden a administradores que planifican y supervisan todas las operaciones de laboratorio.
Cardiovascular Technologist and Life Science Programs in the Gulf Coast Region Universities
- Houston Baptist University
- Prairie View A & M University
- Rice University
- Sam Houston State University
- Texas Southern University
- Texas Woman's University (Universidad de Mujeres de Texas)
- University of Houston
- University of St. Thomas
- Centro de Ciencias de la Salud de la Universidad de Texas, Houston
- Centro Médico de la Universidad de Texas
Principales empleadores en la región de la Costa del Golfo de México
- Harris County Hospital District
- HCA Healthcare
- DaVita Health Care Partners
- Houston VA Medical Center
- Kelsey-Seybold Clinic
- Memorial Hermann Healthcare System The Methodist Hospital
- Oak Bend Medical Center
- St. Lukes Episcopal Health System
- Shriners Hospital for Children
- Thenet Health Care
- Texas Children's Hospital
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Centro Médico de la Universidad de Texas
If you have questions about our Industry/Occupation Profiles or are an organization in the Gulf Coast Region, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|*Incluye los siguientes condados: Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Walker, Waller y Wharton.|